Town Of Cazenovia
 Boards & Committees 

Planning Board


The Town Board sets land use control policy by creating zoning regulations, a comprehensive plan and adopting/amending laws. The Planning Board acts as the overall advisory body interpreting the land use laws and policies set forth by the Town Board.  The Planning Board has authority to approve subdivisions, site plans and various other permits.  The Zoning and Codes Enforcement Officer enforces laws and decisions of the Town Board, Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals.

The Planning Board is made up of 7 Board Members and 2 Alternate Board Members. 

The Planning Board meets on the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 pm in the Gothic Cottage.  Changes are noticed in advance.

Applications to the Planning Board are due fifteen days before the board's monthly meeting (for example, if the board meets on Thursday, July 2, 2015 the deadline to submit your application for the July meeting is Wednesday, June 17, 2015).  Again, changes are noticed in advance.

Click here to review Planning Board minutes.

Bob Ridler
Dale Bowers
Board Member
Anne Ferguson
Board Member
Jerry Munger
Board Member
Patrick Palmer
Board Member
Tom Pratt
Board Member
Hugh Roszel
Board Member
William Barnes
Alternate Board Member
Bryan Wendel
Alternate Board Member
Planning Board Chair
Bob Ridler
7 Albany Street
Cazenovia, NY 13035
Zoning and Codes Enforcement Officer
Roger Cook
7 Albany Street
Cazenovia, NY 13035
Phone: 315-655-5896
Fax: 315-655-2556

Available by appointment or during office hours every Wednesday from 9:00 am to noon.

Sue Wightman
7 Albany Street
Cazenovia, NY 13035
Phone: 315-655-9213, option 6

When Do I need a Land Use Permit?

Certain land uses may require a land use permit in addition to a building permit.  To verify whether your proposed use or property requires a separate land use permit call 655-5896.  This would include Land Disturbance permits, Site Plan Approval permits and Motor Vehicle Sales permits.

What Must I Submit for a Permit?

Submit a completed building permit application to the Codes Enforcement Officer.  Contractor information (insurance certifications) will be needed before the approved plans and permit can be issued.  One or two family dwelling projects and commerical projects require two complete sets of plans.  The plans must show all proposed work and details necessary to verify compliance with building codes, zoning ordinances and New York State Health Department Regulations.  Plans may not be accepted if they are unclear or lack necessary details.  Building permit applications and checklists for commerical or residential projects are available below or at the Town of Cazenovia Municipal Office (Gothic Cottage) located at 7 Albany Street in the Village of Cazenovia.

Delays Can be Costly...

You can save yourself a great deal of time and money if your review the general regulations of any project and submit plans that will not need major revisions. Any addition costing over $20,000 or more requires architect stamped plans. If you are planning to build a house over 1,500 sq. ft. and do not want an architect, you may use the prescriptive method and follow the regulations of New York State Residential Code.  If you are not familiar with code requirements, seek professional assistance before attempting to apply for a permit.  The Code Enforcement Officer/Building Dept. can not assist in drafting plans or designing your project. 

Typical Items to Check Before Submitting Plans

Make sure that the use, size, height and location of the building on the development site conforms with Town of Cazenovia Zoning Ordinances.  Check for the location of any public utility easements on the building site.  No construction is allowed on or over such easements.

Where Can I review the Town of Cazenovia Code and Ordinances?

A fully searchable, electronic version of Town of Cazenovia municipal code can be found at  Click the following link Town of Cazenovia Code to be directed to the website.

When May I Start?

No construction or land disturbance is allowed until a permit is issued and fees paid.  After the application and accompanying plans are submitted, it will take a week to examine and process plans (depending on complexity of the project).  Incomplete plans may require revisions and take significantly longer to approve.  Plans are reviewed in the order they are received.  You will be notified of approval by telephone or mail, with permit fees specified at that time.  Permit fees are based on the type and value of the work to be done.  A fee schedule is included in the building permit application.  You may pick-up your permit card at the Town of Cazenovia Municipal Office (Gothic Cottage) located at 7 Albany Street in the Village of Cazenovia.  Please post your permit on site and have a set of plans available on the job for review by the inspector.

When Do I Need an Inspection?

The type and number of inspections needed depend on each individual project.  Please review your permit for the inspections you will need.  When the work is ready for inspection, the contractor or person responsible for the work to be inspected can schedule an appointment by calling 655-5896 with the name, location of job and the type of inspection needed.  24 hour notice is required.

How Long is a Permit Active?

Once issued, construction must be completed within one year of the issuance date.  If work is not complete at the end of one year, the building permit may be renewed for the initial cost of the permit.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance?

After the final inspection, when it is found that the building or structure complies with all code provisions of the Town of Cazenovia and New York State, the Town of Cazenovia will issue a Certificate of Occupancy.  No building or structure may be lawfully used or occupied until the Certificate of Occupancy has been issued.  A Certificate of Compliance is issued for activities such as additions, fireplaces, swimming pools, hot tubs, tool sheds and land disturbances.

If your property is located in the Cazenovia Lake Watershed Zone, you are required to seek Site Plan approval from the Planning Board for any soil disturbance including construction, driveway and gardening (or clearing of vegetation) projects. 
Land Disturbance Permit (PDF - 36.1 KB)